Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Snowshoes, perhaps?

Picture taken as I left school today of the track where I run my intervals. Hum. I'm thinking I may have to dig out my snowshoes, I do have them you know. Snow wasn't sticking to the streets but there must be some sort of chemical attraction in the track surface because those little snowflakes were accumulating quite nicely there. I snapped this photo with my cell phone as I exited the school parking lot at 3p.m.; it continued to snow throughout the afternoon and when I returned from the grocery store, at 9:45p.m., light flakes were still falling.

I live in Colorado; snow in mid-October is pretty normal. But it doesn't mean I like it. :P YUCKKKKKKK! I know why retired people move to warmer climates - as age creeps into my body, I'm thinking a place in Southern Cali ... on the beach...would be pretty awesome!

As tempted as I was to drag out the ole snowshoes, there wasn't actually enough snow to engage in such activity, nor did I have the proper winter gear, which is sitting boxed up in my basement, unpacked and ready to go, so it was off to the basement for intervals on my treadmill. I debated heading to the gym, just to get a change of scenery and out of my house, but I didn't want to spend the time driving to and from. I desperately want to try to land in bed earlier than has been the case as of late; I tend to function a lot better on somewhat more than what I've been getting lately. Soooooooo....

6x800 @ 3:35 (7:10 min/mile pace)

This seemed slow to me having run most of my intervals sub 3:30 pre-Portland so not sure what was up with the increased time. I always like to either put the treadmill at a 1% incline or increase the pace a tad, to make up for the treadmill itself doing a bit of the work for you. So I opted for a 6:58 pace, which is 3:26 for the 800's. No need to report actual times since the treadmill did that for me. I'm happy to report I didn't fall off or have any other catastrophes and the intervals went well. Worked out at 5a.m. with t-man and after each set of weighs, I ran a mile at an 8 minute pace. I think the theory behind this weight train/run/repeat x3 is to get me fast to run through the fatigue and not slow down. All I can say is that this week felt a lot better than last week - I could actually breath today and my legs weren't lead pipes. But I was still in post-Portland recovery last week and despite Rob thinking I should have been strong, my body was not really ready to engage in a regular full week. That's my take on it anyway, from my training and from what I could read up on. I always say we're an experiment of one and my body just takes longer than most to recover, I guess. Anyway, add this morning's work out to my intervals tonight and though my were legs not sore or fatigued, they certainly did not feel fresh either. But I pumped out the 800's and felt great afterwards. For all those that have success with Yasso's 800's conquering the same number in marathon finish time, I bow to you. If I could land a 3:26 marathon that would be one helluva sweet day in my life!!!!! I may even retire the marathon after that.

But alas, my legs don't produce fast slow-twitch muscles and I have succumbed to the fact that I will just be stuck at a 3:46 marathon pace for eternity :).

I am lying here in my bad, ready for slumberland (please let me sleep more than 4 hours tonight!!!) with a heating pad on my left shoulder blade. Apparently Elizabeth's sadistic torture in that muscle yesterday is either still healing, she didn't get enough of the crud worked out, or I've managed put produce more knots in there today weight training, less than 15 hours after she worked them out. I'm guessing it's the latter. Errrr!

I can't end my blog without a VERY special thank you to Jim Clawson, pacing buddy, whom, upon my return from work today, surprised me with a gorgeous bouquet of pink flowers (a man after my own heart - PINK!!). And we're not talking cheap WalMart flowers here, we're talking major fancy-smancy flowers. I didn't expect it nor even feel they are warranted - I ran with him because it was an honor for ME to do so. I didn't even get a victory flower or anything from the one person I carry most with me after conquering Boston. ... so thanks, Jim. You really didn't need to do anything, but I love them and will smile every time I see them and remember the awesome experience!

Hum, maybe I ought to pace more often :)!

Pretty, huh?


Suzy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I *love* that you are getting snow already. I'm dying to get my snow shoes out this winter and have fun with the family out in the snow. Can't wait to read more of your blog.

Mark said...

Great blog! I'm not ready for!

Meg Runs said...

Oooo...nice flowers, way better than chocolate! Don't give up on getting faster, I did it and if I can, anyone can. Hope you slept better, you sound busy!

Tara said...

I love those flowers; they are beautiful!
I love the snow, it's really pretty, but I wish that we would get it in December and January not in October! I'm not ready to give up the nice weather just yet!

I would love to run with you sometime! I will hopefully be able to in the next couple of weeks, i'll keep everyone posted.

I ran the Oldtown Half Marathon last year in Ft Collins. I loved it; what a beautiful run. I had thought about signing up for the full this year, but it seems so far away!