Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In Like A Lion



The beginning of March in Denver is true to the old weather proverb: it has come in like a lion. Not in term of harsh cold but in lines of wind (though I can't help but wonder if February's brutal winds weren't envious of March's title; I certainly ran through my share of fast flowing February air). March's roar was certainly being heard loud and clear as I made my trek across the trails at Cherry Creek this afternoon, wind blowing dust everywhere - including my eyes, which without half a cup of dirt just blown into them, are already killing me with pre-allergy season upon us (will I ever persevere this sinus stuff??? Please???). A relaxed run at about a 8:50 pace....though I'm certain I ran harder the first half than the second. Which seems to be a habit I'd love to break. I guess I feel so good when I start out yet can't seem to maintain. Even in races. Unfortunately. My legs are still feeling stiff from God only knows what. I've determined it's just a combination of so many things and when my mileage builds up to around the 50 miles per week range, my body does not go forward without incident in some way. This will be a good recovery from last weeks' week.


Another record setting high in Denver today - I could certainly get used to this!! Abbey decided to go out for the golf team at Regis. Her golfing portfolio consists of an trip to the golfing range with Brendan once last summer and maybe a few rounds of miniature golf when she was little. This sudden interest came as a bit of a bewilderment but hey, go for it, Abbey! Brendan's into week two of wrestling and loves it (I pray it brings him the inspiration to get motivated to workout again) and Ryan has a choir concert upon us this week. Both the boys have expressed an interest in running the St. Patrick's Day Runnin of the Green 7K in a week and a half. I suggested they get outdoors and get a tab bit of running in beforehand; but no one's listening. I'll bite my tongue....or I'll try.

If the old saying is true, March will go out like a lamb - I would really appreciate it if it does!! Especially in Atlanta on the 29th!

BTW, I just learned that the "In like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb" phrase apparently has its origins with the constellations Leo, the Lion, and Aries, the ram or lamb. It has to do with the relative positions of these constellations in the sky at the beginning and end of the month. Originally, it had nothing to do with the actual weather! Who knew!!!

(If you wondered why my text is in italics today..... it's cuz of the wiiiiind :) )

8:30 and I'm done with lunches, done with some ironing, blogged, and chicken thawing for tomorrow's dinner....wow, this is a first!

7 Miles Run

No comments: