Monday, June 15, 2009

15 days of June and as many of rain

I feel the humidity everyday I run; we've had so much rain that humidity has crept into this state and I'm dripping profusely as I head outdoors. It's definitely not like the South or Mid-West where I have lived in both, but 15 consecutive days of rain and storms has left some dampness in the air. Meanwhile, I try to drink more water as I fear dehydration problems starting to develop; last week, I had a horrible stomach cramp the last four miles of my long run and I'm sure it was because I was dehydrated due to the sweat I was producing. I have learned to read the various symptoms of my dehydration, stomach cramping being top of the list. This massive rain has also left some serious weeds which, in turn, has caused my recently controlled allergies to resurface with a vengeance. I fear it's going to play havoc with my intervals. Again.

I saw yet another tornado today; it was far off in the distance and seen as I was driving down Parker Road to the south. Honestly, this thing was HUGE!! Yet it was pretty far away (sorry, didn't have my camera and I knew a picture with my cell wasn't going to produce anything other than a spec so I have no evidence to show ya) and not moving in my direction. I was headed to Costco and was so surprised how dark it was all around me. Crazy weather!!!!

I didn't run today, though, so no bodily water-loss but instead did some weight training. I feel my back muscles starting to get sore. A couple runs planned for tomorrow; we'll see how that goes. I'm actually getting pretty nervous about Mt. Evans....if I didn't have so much fun with the training runs, I'd probably never signed up for this thing. I'm worried about the weather; I'm worried about everyone having to wait for me to finish; I'm worried about doing worse than I did last year; I'm worried about the thin air and how last year I was so dizzy at the top......these are valid worries, unlike many that I had in Boston. Mostly, though, I just suddenly feel like I don't want to race anymore. I really don't want to do Pikes Peak and I really don't want to do Portland. And what that boils down to is that I feel like I'm not making any progress and THAT is what I'm worried about.

weight training:1

2 comments:

elaine said...

You should read your blog; it's really motivating..and it will help you remember that it's okay to have off days. Yesterday should have taken a toll on your body, give yourself a break. :)

Jill said...

I just did some weights, no running :).