Friday, April 3, 2009

"She's Got Legs....

....She Knows How to Use Them...."

A little ZZ Top for ya'... the very song that did a little pick-my-sorry-a$$-up at cycling class today. I LOVE this class...LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! Not because it's fun or easy - contraire, I love it because it's one of the bestest-best workouts out there! Okay, it is kinda fun in the sense the instructor, Jill (gotta love the name) is awesome! Her instructor skills are incredible; she jacks up the tunes and really sucks you into the class with her genuine enthusiasm. But I'm telling y'all (still a little southern left in me from my trip!), this class is one tough cookie! My ponytail, which was nicely sporting a little curl left in it from last night and had just the right "cuteness" swish to it pre-cycling class is now caked in grime and sweat...nasty. But ah, a good kinda nasty!

I will be the first to admit that I am not a cyclist. Probably never will be, as far as I can tell, because I just do not know how to push through the hurt. Not the hurt in my legs, no my hurt is the hurt in my LUNGS! Jill'd be yelling out, "I know your legs are burning but make 'em burn moooore..." No, my legs weren't burning, I have legs... I know how to use them; I just suck an entire lung every time I try to get my cadence up over 120. She's screaming, "Get your cadence at least to 135...mine's at 144....anyone top that?" Um...I need an oxygen tank at 118, please! I don't think my legs are capable of moving at 144+ revolutions per minute even if I set the resistance to zero!!! I just can't...I can't breathe. Wikipedia has defined cadence levels as the following: "Recreational and utility cyclists typically cycle around 60–80 rpm; racing cyclists around 80–120 rpm and sprinters up to 170 rpm for short bursts. The professional racing cyclist and Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong is known for his technique of keeping up high cadences of around 120 rpm for hours on end to improve efficiency." Well, Lance doesn't count; he's not human! But if this is the case...then I'll never be known as a "sprinter" on my bike, but I may just be able to knock out the title "racer" - even if it is just for short 1-minute spurts. Hey, I'll take what I can get in this highly competitive biking world. One trip to Boulder will certainly confirm this...you see competitive cyclists out riding everywhere. It's pretty cool!

One thing is certain, though, evident by my totally sweat-grimed ponytail and the pool of water at my feet, I sweat at much higher ratio for one hour of cycling class than I do one hour of treadmill 9:15 pace running. My bandana that I use to soak up the drips was maxed full of fluids by 30 minutes. THAT'S why I love this class (Note to self: Next time bring two bandanas. Or a hand towel. Or a bath towel. Or better yet, a beach towel).


Speaking of hair...I'll let you in on a little secret: I'm trying to grow mine so I can donate it to the 'Locks for Love' program which is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss. Very popular amongst the kids to do this ... not so sure about myself. I love long hair, always have and always will. Though my hair IS growing, it's not growing as fast as I want and the ends are drying out in this arid state I live in. I have countless leave-in moisturizers and some work a little magic, but I'm going to be completely honest here: my hair is driving me crazy! Because it's so dry!! I pulled my hair back and I DO have the 10" needed before you can donate...but egads, I can't chop it to nothing. I can't!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, that look is fine on some people but I would be in deep depression mode if I had to sport that image. I love being a girl and everything girly that comes with it, especially my hair. I love to do stuff with it sometimes, evident by my medicine cabinet full of hair adornments, but mostly, I love to keep it down where it's long..I can't chop it to an inch max around my head. So anyway, as summer running approaches and my hair continues to grow in length, I'll try to retain my willpower not cut it....I figure I have a year before I can cut 10" and still keep it long enough to "do" something with. Please God, show me the strength because right now, I'm about ready to whack it off!

Major snow storm predicted for tomorrow to Sunday morning. I am volunteering on Sunday at the Platte River half marathon handing out finisher medals and congratulatory hugs at the end (I also have some pre-race job which I can't remember exactly what it is right now). I'll be dressed in full Arctic attire while I cheer on the track coaches at Smoky as they attempt to qualify their half marathon times for entry to the NYC marathon. Go Brian, go Jeff!!

Oh...and how could I forget my most favorite cycling song of the day: a little techno music for you with an amazingly fast beat...a little motivation for Boston, perhaps? (btw, Abbey calls it "crap").




Cross train: 1

No comments: